Copper Wainscoting, Juliette Balconies and Copper Cornice makes this architectural masterpiece a one-of-a-kind Washington Historic Landmark of significant merit. Constructed in 1901, by highly acclaimed architect B. Stanley Simmons and developed by Lester Barr, The DuPont not only represents the pinnacle of Washington architecture, but equally so, the highest articulation of turn-of-the-century Beaux Arts Design.
Currently owned and managed by William C. Smith Co., The Soho Group, Inc., was requested to remove 100% of the existing lead based paint and to retain every detail of the original structure, thus restore this landmark to it’s original prominence and grandeur.
100% Abatement of the Lead Based Paint Windows & frames, 100% Restoration of the Copper stamped Cornice, Balustrade, Juliette Balconies, Wainscoting, Scrolls and Fluting. A masterpiece of residential architecture, 113 years old, re-appearing as proud and as beautiful today as the day which it pronounced its completion.
The William C. Smith & Company is to be highly commended for their sensitivity and recognition of Washington, DC’s architectural legacy and equally as important, their role to address the highest principals of 21st century environmental standards and Community responsibility & leadership.
An architectural Beaux Arts Masterpiece by renowned Washington Architect, B. Stanley Simmons, 1901
HISTORIC PRESERVATION AT IT’S FINEST
THE DUPONT APARTMENT BUILDING: 1717 20TH STREET, N.W. WASHINGTON, D.C.
Owner: The William C. Smith & Company
Architect: B. Stanley Simmons / 1873-1923 / The DuPont: 1901